Our network

Palmetto Fatal Fire Ruled Accidential: Victims Identified | News

Title (Max 100 Characters)

Palmetto Fatal Fire Ruled Accidential: Victims Identified
News

PALMETTO, GA -- Faulty medical equipment caused the house fire that killed three people in south Fulton County Tuesday morning.

"We've determined that this tragic fire was accidental," Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner John Oxendine said in a statement.

The fire started before 6 a.m. in a 50-year-old log house on Locke Street in downtown Palmetto.

An 89-year-old woman and two men in their 50s were killed. 

The victims were identified as Irene Wiggle and the two men as 55-year-old Thomas Millar, and 50-year-old Marcus Usher, who was bed-ridden.

Authorities said the fire was caused by "an oxygen-generating device that malfunctioned." 

The only survivor, Nancy Millar, managed to get out and run down to a fire station about a block away for help.

Firefighters from Palmetto, Chattahoochee Hills and Coweta and Fulton counties all responded.

Palmetto Fire Chief Henry Argo, who knew one of the victims, said all four of them were all related.

Millar was married to one of the men. Neighbors say the other two victims were her mother and brother, who was bed-ridden.

"It affects us all when there's such a tragedy and members of the same family," Argo said during an emotional news conference near the home Tuesday. "It's hard on everybody."

Millar was treated for injuries at Grady Hospital. Neighbors say she was involved in international charity work.

News

Newnan Deals